Bergamot It is one of our All-Time Favorite Essential Oil, extracted from the peel of the bergamot orange. Bergamot is a less-known citrus essential oil that has major benefits. Bergamot fruit originated in the town of Bergamo in Northern Italy, it has a light citrus scent with floral notes and it is commonly used in aromatherapy to lift mood and alleviate stress. It may also aid with urinary tract infections, fighting oily skin, combating acne, psoriasis, eczema, and cold sores.
Bergamot has similar characteristics as grapefruit essential oil in that it is antiseptic, antispasmodic, and analgesic (pain relieving).
Bergamot is specially unique among the citrus oils because of its ability to calm and uplift at the same time, making it an ideal choice to help with sad or anxious feelings. It aids in promoting self confidence and can be used for depression. Bergamot is very cleansing to the skin, as well as purifying while having a calming effect.
Inhaling Bergamot essential oil may signal the limbic system, the region of the brain that regulates emotions and memories. Doing so may induce physiological effects such as, reducing high blood pressure, heart rate, and increase the “feel good” hormone serotonin and the neurotransmitter dopamine.
Like most other citrus essential oils, bergamot is known for being uplifting and it is one of the best essential oils to support the central nervous system. It is known for calming the spirit and it promotes a positive outlook, soothes anxiety, and eases over-thinking.
Bergamot essential oil is a tonic, which means that it tones up the respiratory, circulatory, digestive, excretory, and nervous systems, as well as skin and muscles. It is also anti-congestive and it can be used in diffusers to relieve congestion and respiratory problems.
How to use Bergamot Essential Oil?
- You can apply topically with a carrier oil to help soothe inflammation and to promote healthy skin.
- You can diffuse a few drops to fill the air with a pleasant uplifting aroma.
- You can mix it with a carrier oil and apply it directly to the stomach to promote healthy digestion.
- You can mix a few drops in your skincare product or shower products.
- You can add a drop to your tea.
- You can apply to the palms of your hands and cup over nose and take deep breaths.