Ravintsara Cinnamomum Camphora
Ravintsara is a pale yellow or colourless essential oil, that originates from Madagascar. It is extracted from the dark green and waxy leaves of the large Cinnamomum Camphora tree in the Lauraceae family. Its name actually means “good leaf” in Madagascar. Ravintsara has a fresh smell that is similar to Eucalyptus or Camphor.
Over the years it has been recognized as having strong antiviral, antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, anti fungal, antiseptic, disinfectant, expectorant, and relaxant properties as well as being an excellent nerve tonic. It is considered to have respiratory and immune-boosting properties and is also used widely for meditation, skin cleansing, muscular pain, stress, depression, and to help promote better sleep. Other known uses are; to help with colds & flu, pain relief, coughs, skin conditions, viral infections, headaches, toothaches, and inflammation.
Ravintsara is generally used aromatically and topically and blends well with many oils such as; Citrus oils, Wild Orange, Neroli, Lemongrass, Grapefruit, Lavender, Jasmine, Basil, Cedarwood, Clove Bud, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Sweet Marjoram, Helichrysum, and Eucalyptus.
A few ideas for possible use:
- Apply 3 drops of oil with a teaspoon of carrier oil to your chest to relieve breathing troubles.
- Diffuse or inhale directly from the bottle. Apply topically to your temples and back of neck to relieve anxiety.
- Add a few drops of Ravintsara to a teaspoon of carrier oil and massage it into your muscles and joints.
Sinus Relief Recipe
- 7 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Ravintsara Essential Oil
- 4 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
Combine in 10ml roller bottle and top off with fractionated coconut oil. Apply around sinus area *avoid eyes.
Decongestant Diffuser Blend
- 3 Drops Ravintsara
- 2 Drops Eucalyptus
- 2 Drops Peppermint
Add oils to diffuser and enjoy the refreshing aroma